Since I’m in the process of studying more web technology – like Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, PHP, JQuery, etc. – it’s beginning to seem like I have a huge mountain of tasks in front of me. So I decided to look for a good time management/scheduling application. Enter Google Calendar.
I keep finding myself needing to arrange my schedule better. I just need to focus on continuity and habit.
So I set up Google Calendar today. AND the great thing is, I found that it can send SMS notifications for FREE! At first I thought that I would have to have a smart phone to use it with my mobile device because, hey, what’s the use of a calendar if you have to be on your desktop to use it right? Whilst I still haven’t opened my iPhone to accept a Globe SIM card, this will do for now, even if I can’t add events on-the-go yet.
It’s pretty easy actually:
- Go to Google Calendar
- click on Settings or the Gear on the top right.
- click on the “Mobile Setup” tab
- Then follow the instructions on the screen (input your mobile num, wait for the confirmation code, then enter it in the space provided.)
- Viola, you now have SMS notifications enabled.
- Then you just have to set up Event Reminders to use the feature.
I also made SMS notifications the default for all my calendars so I’ll have less to click when I add events in the future.
Another thing, Google Calendar has an Offline version with Google Chrome. It comes as an extension in Chrome.